2017 Barbara H. Bowman Postdoctoral Research Scholarship Award
The Awards Committee of the Graduate School is seeking nominations for the Barbara H. Bowman Award for postdoctoral research. This award was established in 1995 in honor of Dr. Bowman. All postdoctoral fellows, regardless of degree or departmental affiliation, are eligible provided they are within the first four years of receiving their terminal doctoral degree. Postdoctoral trainees may either self‐nominate or be nominated by their mentor or chair. Individual Departments or Academic Units may nominate more than one individual for the award. There are no limitations in nominating deserving candidates, beyond eligibility guidelines outlined below. The awards committee will select up to two Bowman Scholars each year to receive $1,000. Completed nominations must be submitted by 5pm on Tuesday July 25.
Eligibility Requirements for the Bowman Scholarship
A nominee should be in a training position or be regarded as a trainee. Nominees must have obtained their terminal doctoral degree on or after May 1, 2012. A nominee should be working under the guidance of a mentor and if asked, would not consider himself/herself to be an independent investigator. A nominee cannot have a tenure-track faculty appointment. By submitting an application for the Bowman Award, the applicant waives his/her right to access any letters of recommendation written on his/her behalf.
Application packets must contain the following 6 items of information in PDF format: Items 1-4 should be submitted electronically in the order listed to Alex De Jesus in the Graduate Dean’s Office (email@example.com):
1. CV (social security numbers must be removed)
2. A letter of nomination from the nominator (faculty mentor, departmental chair or self)
3. Reprints of the three most significant papers published by the applicant. Papers published as the result of work done at the UTHSCSA will receive special consideration.
4. When appropriate, abstracts of funded postdoctoral stipend or research grants such as NRSA, foundation, postdoctoral awards or mentored physician-scientist or dentist-scientist awards.
Items 5 and 6 (below) should be submitted electronically, by the author, directly to Dr. Nicquet Blake at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
5. Letters of recommendation from two UTHSCSA faculty members, one of whom must be the postdoctoral mentor
6. Letters of recommendation from two individuals outside of UTHSCSA who can comment on the applicant’s research accomplishments and capabilities.